Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tomorrow will be a better day

It is 11:00PM and I have been sitting here praying and crying, asking God to PLEASE help me with my 5 1/2 year old daughter. Today, we have been butting heads. She has become so disrespectful towards me. She actually told me "NO" several times today and has tried to tell me what to do all day long. Today, in anger I told her "I guess you don't need a Mommy anymore because you have all the answers!" Which then she proceeded to cry and I felt like doo doo. I need to learn to send myself for a time-out and just get control of myself before I talk to my child who is making me angry.
I would say this is a stage, except she’s been battling me since the day she could talk. But I think I asked for it…when I found out I was having a girl, I asked God to give me a strong, independent daughter, who never doubted herself, and could stand on her own two feet. Some say God has a sense of humor! *wink* Although we battle from time to time, I love her so much and thank God daily for the gifts he has given me.
When I first made the decision to home school I knew we were going to have bad days occasionally, but today was an all day event. From the moment we woke up to the time my daughter went to bed we have been going at it. After my daughter went to bed I sat on the couch and prayed and cried and felt lead to go to my daughter's room and comfort her and let her know that I love her and that tomorrow will be a better day. She hugged me and told me that she loved me and I cried a little more while we snuggled for a few minutes. I can definitely say that while I am schooling my daughter, God is also schooling me. He is trying to teach me patience, unselfishness and understanding, but at the same time to stand firm on what I know that he has called me to do, and that is love her and bring her up in His ways. And yes, tomorrow WILL BE a better day.

3 comments:

  1. I was just about to go to sleep, but I will pray for you and your daughter's situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every Mom, has these days. Homeschooling Moms are just around their kids all day long and don't have an out when things start to go south. I find with myself and my kids, it's usually a sign of exhaustion or upset or something else totally out of our control (in ourselves or our children) and otherwise unrelated to each other. On these days, I think a change of scenery is the best thing: go to a park, go out to lunch, something... anything to get you both out of the house and thinking about something else. Don't even try to do ordinary schoolwork. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to this post. Although I am not a homeschooler, my almost-5 year old daughter challenges me at every turn from sunup to sundown on most days. Whether just being contrary, or downright disrespectful, I am often at a loss for what to do. I keep telling myself that her fierce will and sense of self will serve her well when she is confronted with tough situations as a teenager. :)

    ReplyDelete